Thursday 10 October 2013

Why are we fighting to Save Our Fire Station?


A Blaina Mother and young children - fight for the right for Blaina Firestation to defend them
This morning I phoned Mrs Margaret Griffin, the widow of one of Blaina's Firefighters, Stephen Griffin who lost his life, as did his brother firefighter, Kevin Lane in the Zephaniah Way fire of 1996, where both men gave their lives trying to save a child's life.

It does not matter for now, why I wanted to speak to Margaret, because although she said yes, I was unfortunately unable to do so but will do later today if possible.

The reason I could not keep my appointment with Margaret is because that before going to see her, I decided to take a walk around Cwmcelyn Pond and to think through the events of the last week.

I wanted to think about the many people I have spoken to, listened to, and just what it was I wanted to say to Margaret and what it was I hoped to achieve by meeting her, at what must now be a very distressing time for her.  Margaret will forgive me, because Margaret is that kind of woman, she cares and understands we are all busy now.

I also wanted some time, spent walking around a pond that I used fish in, and fall in as a child, when I lived in the old asbestos prefabs that were below the pond, just as to why it was, I was doing what I am doing now and just how far I would go to ensure that Blaina Fire Station is not closed.

I love walking around this pond
Well the views from Cymcelyn Pond must be some of the most beautiful views in the world and I love this valley and the people who live in it, and despite having the means to leave and go and live anywhere else in the world, I could never leave it, at least not for long and never will.  I am what I am and that is a Blaina Boy.

Well it must have taken me less than a minute to realise why I was going to fight even harder to Save Our Station, because on the way to the pond, I drove past Ystruth Primary School, where according to their website, there are 266 full time infant pupils on the roll.

Defend the right of this child to be protected
Pupils who they must teach and whose lives the brave firefighters would risk their own to save if ever there is a fire at the school.  You know that is the truth - Stephen and Kevin have already underlined that point with their lives.  Incidentally, some of the men who served with those two heroes still serve today.

Perhaps it would be good if some of the the mothers of the children who attend that school, that I am told is excellent, make contact with their Headteacher Mrs E. Harris and let her know of the increased danger to the lives of the children who she looks over so well, should Blaina Fire-station close.

Now I do not like doing this but I must.  Let us look at this imaginary scenario in which there is a major fire at the school.

Currently Blaina Fire engine or pump as they call it is on the road in under 3.5 minutes of the call and would be attending any fire at the school in between 5 and 6 minutes of the alarm going out.  That is an incredible response..  I told you before, the late Stephen Griffin could get to his post at the station in under two minutes.

And God forbid there is ever a fire at the school but I must continue now to paint you a terrible picture because that is my duty.

I have already seen how professional Blaina Fire Crew are, they would do their jobs to their last breath and the last drop of water in their pumps but were that fire in a local school with their own children, grandchildren and the children of friends in it, they would become tireless machines in their efforts to protect and save the lives of Blaina's future, which is what our children are.

Let us remind ourselves of the words in The Firemans Prayer, that I cannot read without thinking of the boys who gave their lives in 96 and tough as I am, I still cannot read it without a small tear in my eye.

When I am called to duty, God
whenever flames may rage,
Give me the strength to save some life
Whatever be its age.

Help me to embrace a little child
Before it’s too late,
Or some older person
from the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert
And hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently
to put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling
and give the best in me,
To guard my neighbor
And protect his property.

And if according to Your will
I have to lose my life,
Please bless with Your protecting hand
My children and my wife

Does Huw Jakeway and the bean counters who would close our station down feel the same way as you or I when we read that prayer?

I am afraid the answer must be no for the simple reason, yes they are men but they are not men like us and would put money before lives and communities.

Now a nightmare scenario for Blaina.

There is a fire in the school.  Huw Jakeway and the bean counters were allowed to win and Blaina Fire station is no more.

The shout goes out but Abertillery are out already on a call further south down the valley and Brynmawr are not available because they, through no fault of their own are "off the run" because of manpower shortages caused by the incompetence of the Senior Officers in the Fire Service.

So the alarm goes up in Ebbw Vale who thankfully are available, and so they answer the call.

Have you seen the roadworks between Ebbw Vale and Blaina?

Who can say how long it would take those firefighters, who are as brave and committed as our own firefighters to reach our children?

Certainly it would be considerably longer than the maximum of six minutes which it would have taken Blaina, had these bean counters not closed our station, who criminally also know how precious time is in the event of a fire or saving a life.

So then mothers and all women of Blaina, do not let them risk the lives of our children for a few lousy pounds in the savings they think they could make by closing Blaina Fire station and throwing the heroes that work there onto the streets of unemployment.  Join the protest and become active in Our Campaign to Save Our Station.

But back at Cwmcelyn Pond, I looked across to Tanglewood that is behind the school and remembered that there lives a little girl who although not my granddaughter by blood, loves me as though I were, and I love her as if she were my own and to me she is.

So, I guess that is the real reason why I will fight to my dying breath to save our station  - pure selfishness to fight and defend a little girl who I love more than life and who I will not see endangered because of men like Huw Jakeway and his bean counters.

Now whilst walking I met several people and one person in particular that I hoped to tell you about but already this article is more than long enough and thinking about it, the conversation with that person deserves an article of its own.  I had better make a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment