Sunday 13 October 2013

Living Legend and Local Hero Byron Hayward defends Blaina Fire Station


Byron Hayward  - Welsh International and Local Hero
I think one of the happiest times in my life, was when I was serving on the committee of Blaina RFC, but that was before work took over my life and I had to leave the club behind.

Great days, great guys, great home games and fantastic times on away games and I still remember Barry Madden who was then Chairman of the club and the shop lifter in Penzance, Cornwall.  But that's another story.

You know, it is surprising how many local heroes Blaina has produced and who went on to become national heroes for Wales and sport in general and so it is with great pride, that I publish the following statement sent in by Byron Hayward, one of the best and most honourable players Wales has ever produced.

I know the boys at the station will appreciate his words, especially the firefighter Nigel Meek, who I think played a bit of rugby himself.
Hi Paul, I believe Blaina fire station is a vital and integral part of the community, it provides safety and peace of mind for all residents in the town.
Never more so was this demonstrated during the early 90s during a lethal disaster at forge side where two fire fighters lost their lives.
This fire station should be kept open as a mark of respect for those men and their families. They paid the ultimate price doing their jobs. This we should never forget!
I say best, because of the stunning performance Byron gave when he scored three tries in his very first international match for Wales.  At the end of a great rugby playing career, he retired with a record 2535 league points.

I say honourable because of the position he took, when he complained about "foreign" players who had no rights to claim Welsh eligibility by falsely claiming to have Welsh Grandparents.

Thank you for your support Byron, I know that message of support will mean a lot to the firefighters of Blaina Fire Station, some of whom were on duty on the day of the tragedy of which you spoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment