Wednesday 13 November 2013

Was this the Last Parade for Blaina Fire Station Crew?


Was this their Last Parade?  Not if we have our way.
The image above, could well be the last one taken of the crew of Blaina Fire Station, after what may  have been the last Remembrance Sunday Parade that they attend as a working fire crew.

In December, the Fire Authority will have to decide on whether the fire crew will be marching again with pride next year, or instead be among the ranks of the unemployed, because of the proposal to close down Blaenau Gwent's most productive fire station, based on inaccurate information submitted to them by Huw Jakeway of the Fire Service.

The image was taken at their station on their return from the service of memorial to those who had died fighting for Our Country, and with them is Councillor Lisa Winnett who was invited to join them for the official Fire Crew photo.

I understand from sources within the fire department, that Lisa was visibly moved by the crew's invite, which had been extended as a small way of thanking the Blaina Councillor for the superb work she had carried out in leading the campaign to save Our Station and the fire crews jobs.

Lisa, despite her fierce reputation, is in fact a gentle person who really cares about her community and I know how honoured and humble she felt, when the boys asked her to be photographed with them.

When we win this campaign, I honestly believe that it will be because we had her leading us, and I am not ashamed to say that I think she is an amazing person.

Other news.

Today, I was informed that another 50 surveys had been gathered by the Fire Crew to add to what must by now, be close onto 4,000 forms already submitted.

These numbers are an incredible achievement, and those involved with organising their collection deserve the thanks of all of Blaina and Nantyglo, although if you have still not submitted one, there is still time if you go to this link here.

Paul from the BBC prepares to interview Councillor Lisa Winnett
Earlier today, Lisa Winnett was being interviewed outside the Fire Station by the BBC and standing off camera, I listened to her give an excellent summary of the proposal.  Seriously folks, Lisa did us proud.

The camera is rolling
Lisa spoke about the inaccurate information in the proposal.  She warned about the increased risk to property and lives.  She spoke about the sacrifice Blaina had made in the past and she spoke about the dedication of Our Fire Crew.

Ready for the close up Lisa?
After interviewing Lisa, the BBC then filmed the fire crew doing some routine work before leaving to go interview Chief Fire Officer Huw Jakeway.

Pity he did not stick around, because not long after he left, the Alarm went up for real.  I have just grabbed this from Lisa Winnett's Facebook page.
Jumped out of my skin earlier when the fire alarm went off for a shout in Blaina Fire Station, the fast response from the crew was amazing to see, and it was just seconds over the 3 mins and the pump was on the road to the fire
When I have more information I will publish it, but I did manage to grab this image that was taken from the other side of our valley.

So whilst I type this, our boys are in action again.  I pray they return safe.  We must not let the bean counters steal Our Station.

Former Welsh International Nigel Meek enjoyed the cake
Finally, I took the photo above, and was told the name of the young person who baked the cake for the boys in the station, but sadly I have the memory of a goldfish and I have forgotten the name I was asked to thank by the Fire Crew, who were enjoying the cake very much - incidentally, as did Lisa.

More on that fire when I have news.

No comments:

Post a Comment